Wednesday 23 September 2015

UNIT 1, 2 & 4 Mono-printing

After the completion of my second glossary page and towards the end of the day we tidied up to begin a new activity: Mono-printing. We watched Claire's demonstration in which she used a brayer to roll ink onto a plastic wallet that was taped securely to the table, she then placed a paper on top of the ink and without resting her hand on the paper she drew a hand on the back of the paper. After she drew the hand she lifted off the paper to reveal the ink print on the paper of the hand. This is known as indirect printing, you could also you the imprint in the ink on table to produce a direct print by placing a piece of paper on the ink and use a clean brayer on the back of the paper.

In preparation for making my own mono prints I used the China Collé technique I had learnt from print making, I used purple tissue paper to reconstruct a hand on the page. I then proceeded to use this to produce an indirect print with black ink. The China Collé technique was more effective when mono printing rather than Lino printing. The result was quite smudged however I still though it turned out rather successful.

I then decided on producing a direct mono print to show evidence that I understood how to produce both types of mono prints, personally I preferred the indirect method as I thought you could produce some interesting peices when using a combination of techniques. 

No comments:

Post a Comment