Tuesday 23 February 2016

UNIT 7 Artist Research: David Hockney


David Hockney is a British painter who studied Art School in London before moving to Los Angeles in the sixties where he completed his famous swimming pool paintings. In the seventies Hockney became interested in photography and created collages that he called "Joiners". In 2011 Hockney was voted the most influential British artist of the 20th century and he continues to create and exhibit his work to this day.

Hockney was fascinated with the combination of art and technology and in 2009 began using brushes app on IPhones and IPads to create paintings. These IPad paintings are what I will focus on as he is using a time based media.

Hockneys IPhone paintings are very unusual and a clever way of creating art through a time based media however I don't particularly like his IPhone paintings, most of his pieces are of the items that happen to be in front of him at the time and I find that kind of layout slightly boring especially since they seem to be around his home.

Below is a link to the page showing Hockneys IPhone paintings on his website:
http://www.hockneypictures.com/iphone_pages/iphone_etcetera-01.php

Although I did download the brushes app and make my own IPhone painting to explore the method myself, I found using the app was enjoyable and easy to use making it a quick method perfect for reportage style drawing. Below is my own IPhone painting:

No comments:

Post a Comment