Friday 4 March 2016

UNIT 5 Design Ideas

As I began to start the production of my designs I first created a page of initial designs where I drew up nine sketches of door designs that were inspired by different elements of all my research and preparation work. These initial designs were produced quickly therefore I chose three of them to be further developed into my three final designs.
My first design was  inspired by water droplets. In my research of existing door designs I found that repetitive patterns of rectangular or square shapes were used quite often therefore I decided to use a shape repetitively in my design too however I used a circle which decreases in size to replicate water droplets. Due to its simplicity I decided to add more detail in the glass panels by using rain glass texture which further emphasises the on going theme of water droplets in this design.
 
 
My second design is based around streams. In my research of existing door designs I found that tall thin rectangular glass panels were also very popular therefore I decided to use a similar shape. In my primary research of the theme I photographed a stream from above and I found the shape of the stream itself was beautifully unusual, therefore by distorting the vertical edges of the tall thin rectangular glass panel I manipulated the shape to replicate that of the stream from my primary research. The 'Taffeta' glass texture for this design was used to further create the illusion of a stream running down the front of the door and provide the homeowner with privacy.
 
My third design was based on ripples. In my primary research I found ripples were one of the most common symbols of water therefore I really wanted to use ripples to influence one of my designs. For this design I decided to take inspiration from my secondary research of door designs on Pinterest and Antoni Gaudi's work and create a complex design. However since this is a contemporary design I decided to simplify the shapes of the ripples to create a more modern and clean appearance. Furthermore, I decided due to the size and shape of a standard door that I would only use half of a circle of ripples. Due to the complex design I decided to use a 'Satin' glass texture therefore it doesn't make the design too busy however it still provides the homeowner with privacy.
 
All three designs use the colour palette of four colours: Sky Blue, Ultramarine, Teal and Sea Green. I choose these four colours because not only does blue have connotations of relaxation but it is also frequently used to symbolise water. Furthermore, I choose the four brighter shades of blue as the bold colour will stand out giving the homeowner a sense of identity within the neighbourhood and also using bold colours on doors is stylish and modern.
 
I also calculated the energy efficiency of all three of my designs using the 'door designing' feature on the Distinction Doors website. I used designs that are similar to my own to represent my designs and made sure to choose designs that use a similar ratio of glass to my own designs. Although, my calculations are not accurate they provide a rough estimate to the energy efficiency of each design.



No comments:

Post a Comment