Tuesday 1 March 2016

UNIT 6 Print making (Etching)

In the print making workshop we were taught the process of etching to create several prints to incorporate in our final sculpture. Etching can be very detailed or very simple however the mark making technique can be very precise therefore we first created a design that we would work from. For my design I collaged together different sections of the 'Tower of Babel' painting to create a complex design that would add some detail to the fairly simple surfaces of my sculpture. We then secured a clear piece of acetate over our designs, tracing the designs using etching tools to scratch the design onto the acetate. Once I had completed the etching plate I then continued to print my design onto paper and fabrics by covering the plate in ink and sending it through a etching press to transfer the ink to the papers and fabrics. I then halved my prints to create thin strips that I will use on my final sculpture to represent the paper element to my design, I also decided to use the actual etching plate on my sculpture too.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment