Tuesday 1 March 2016

UNIT 6 Ceramics Workshop

In the ceramics workshop we first decided whether we would want to use porcelain, stoneware or terracotta clay. Our decisions were based off the appearance and properties of each of the clays to see which of the three materials is most suitable for our designs. I decided to use stoneware as it had the most natural appearance and was fairly easy to use.



I decided to use clay for the individual curved wall as I wasn't sure how id attach a clay element to the rest of the sculpture therefore I used it for the individual element and glued it to the base. Once I had prepared the clay I rolled it out and cut out a rectangle that measured 14cm by 11.7cm. I placed the rectangle sheet of clay on the drum I used to mould the wood around in the 3D workshop so that it follows the same curve once it dries.

The clay element would have looked out of place therefore I engraved the same design I created in the print making workshop to add some relevance between the clay element and the rest of the sculpture.


No comments:

Post a Comment