Monday 20 June 2016

UNIT 8 3D Workshop: Acid Etching

After completing all my research I began organising a day within the 3D workshop where I would explore the use of different techniques in order to combine cartography and 3D work. I decided to experiment within the 3D workshop due to the strong influences from Maya Lins work when I reviewed my research. After discussing my ideas with the 3D tutors we came up with three techniques for me to learn and experiment with: Acid Etching, Pyrography and Layering.

highlighted text shows health and safety tips and equipment that must be used

Acid Etching

Step One

Step 1: If using an image to acid etch you must flip the image and then print onto an acetate sheet











Step Two
Step 2: Heat up a copper sheet on a hot plate with paper between the two. Once hot enough place the acetate sheet ink down on top of the copper and another piece of thick paper. Then begin to iron the paper.

Be careful when using both a hot plate and iron to prevent burns









Step Three

Step 3: Continue to iron until the image has transferred from the acetate to copper









Step Four

Step 4: An alternative to using an image is to draw onto a copper sheet using a barrier pen









Step Five

Step 5: Place the copper into nitric acid for around five minutes allowing the acid to react with the copper.

Be careful when placing the copper in acid and wait outside of the room to reduce the exhaling of the gases produced.











Step Six


Step 6: Once the acid has eaten away at the unmarked copper remove the copper sheet from the acid.

Use tweezers when removing copper from acid and place in water.




Step Seven







Step 7: Remove the copper sheet from the water and clean off the remaining barrier pen using wire wool.











Step Eight

Step 8: After cleaning the copper sheet heat it up evenly using a blow torch.

Be careful not to heat up the copper too much and be careful not to burn yourself.











Step Nine 
Step 9: Rub oxidising concentrate onto the copper with a paper towel first then use wire wool until the indents have darkened in colour and the parts that are elevated are more clear.

Wear gloves.







Final Acid Etch

Acid etching was a technique that I had never come across before however now I feel fairly confident I could produce acid etches more independently. I enjoyed this process and think it looks really interesting however I found that - in my opinion - my unsuccessful copper transfers look more effective. when I transferred images into the copper they didn't transfer well enough to produce an acid etch however I could explore copper transfers further.






My sketchbook page on acid etching


Copper Transfer


No comments:

Post a Comment