Wednesday 15 June 2016

UNIT 8 Primary Research: York Art Gallery



York Art Gallery was one of the places I planned to visit in order to collect primary research as I had read reviews and many of them had recommended you visit the gallery; due to not being able to find a specific exhibition or collection on cartography I decided to visit several galleries and museums on the whim that I would find some form of relevant work. However upon arrival I was rather dissapointed that the gallery had only allowed York Museums Trust members into all the exhibitions and collections therefore I could only visit the 'centre of ceramic art' collection and the permanent collection of paintings.

CoCA
Permanent Collection
The collections I were able to visit were the centre of ceramics art and the permanent collection. As beautiful as the installation was within the ceramics collection I was left without any relevant research to add to my sketchbook. The permanent collection of paintings were relevant to the portraiture aspect of my project however I didn't think it would be useful as I wanted to collect research that would influence me however the 17th and 18th paintings -although I appreciate the skill - are not quite suited to my style as I like to think I am more of a contemporary artist.


'Wave', Martin Jenkins (2015)
Despite my previous disappointments I managed to find some useful primary research that was relevant to cartography. The first piece was a small globe upon a desk in the permanent collection although it was simply there for decoration I found it relevant as the globe is one of the most common uses of cartography and one that everyone will know of its an iconic symbol of cartography and therefore I think I will explore the use of the globe within one of my design ideas. In the same room there was a sculpture on a plinth showcasing the layered work of Martin Jenkins who I decided to include within my artist research as he uses a layered technique similar to that of Maya Lin which I wanted to experiment with during my time in the 3D workshop. 

No comments:

Post a Comment