Tuesday 21 June 2016

UNIT 8 Artist Research: Tamara Kavesitadze

Tamara Kavesitadze is an architect, painter and sculptor born in Georgia. She studied Architecture at Tbilisi Technical University and she now uses her knowledge to create beautiful thought provoking pieces of art which she has exhibited in galleries across the world.

I have chosen to research into her work as a form of developing my own ideas as her sculpture 'Man and Woman' uses negative space between layers to create the shape of a full human body. Since her sculpture is not a true form the shape of each layer is vital and I will also place emphasis on perfecting the shapes of each layer in my own design. Kvesitadze's use of lighting on her sculpture is also intriguing and I plan to explore the use of lighting on my own sculpture - perhaps the colour of the lighting is how I will incorporate my research of Michael Tompsett's work who put alot of emphasis on colour.




This series of images show Kvesitadze's Man and Woman sculpture during the night as it moves. See her sculpture represents the tragic love story of a Muslim boy, Ali, and a Georgian princess, Nino, who were separated due to the invasion of Soviet Russia; the characters were from a novel by Kurban Said. The two sculptures move together - kissing - then move past each other facing opposite directions showing a visual and artistic representation of the story.

Here is a link to a time lapse video that shows the full cycle of the two sculptures: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCOXXIAM6Mk



No comments:

Post a Comment