Wednesday 22 June 2016

UNIT 8 Assembly of my Final Piece: MDF Base

Problem Solving

Health and Safety

Step 1. The first step to creating the base was to place the mock up base on top of an MDF board and to centralise the cross sections with the centre line of the MDF board so that I could mark out the ends of each layer onto the MDF board through the gaps in the mock up base.

Step 2. I then put the mock up base and cross sections to one side as I drew line from each edge to show where the slots needed to be cut out; to ensure the lines would be straight and parallel to each other I lined up a straight ruler with the previous line and pushed up a 5 mm off cut of plastic and a 12 mm off cut of MDF against the ruler and then drew the next line. This way there would be 17 mm between each line.


Step 3. Before I began using the router I had to do a test run to find the radius of the router so I could set up materials to make using the router easier. The radius of the router was 78 mm.

Step 4. Then I had to create a set up; I clamped the MDF board up against a plank of wood to keep it still and straight. I then set up another wooden board 78 mm away from the end of the first line to act as a stopper. I then used another MDF board that was parallel to the slot lines that was 78 mm away from the slot line.

Step 5. I then adapted the settings on the router as I didn't want to put too much stress on the drill piece therefore I set up two depths for the drill: one would go half way through and the other would go all the way through.

Step 6. I then began cutting out the slots; making sure to route every slot twice on the two different settings and changing the set up to suit the next slot line. I used ear defenders and eye protection.


Step 7. Once all the slots were cut out the MDF board was cut down to an appropriate size on the large table saw by my tutor as students a prohibited from using said machinery. 

Step 8. I then glued on the sides of the base leaving a lip for the backboard to fit in securely.

Step 9. I measured an MDF backboard to fit into the base and the tutor cut it down using the large table saw. I then cut off the corner - for the electrical cable - on the band saw whilst wearing eye protection.


Step 10. I then moved onto painting the base inside - to create a reflective surface for the light - and out with white emulsion. However I accidentally applied too much paint which began to chip of at the edges and corners so I sanded down the edges and repainted the base making sure to use light coats.

Step 11. After the paint had dried I had to use a blunt craft knife to scratch off any paint that had gone inside the slots and to gently scratch at the edges to ensure the plastic cross sections would still fit in.

No comments:

Post a Comment